![]() |
| Evie having her "fizzy drink" for New Year's. |
![]() |
| Eleanora wasn't too sure about it. |
When I sat down in the late fall to register for my very last class, Advanced Quantitative Methods (statistics, basically), I had a nagging feeling in the back of my mind that something wouldn't go right. This was probably because there have been several process-related things that didn't go quite right in my graduate program since I started. Some of them have just been misunderstandings on my part and some have been other people's fault. The system wouldn't let me register and said I needed a permit. Okay, no problem. I shot the professor an email stating that I am a PhD student ready to take my last class, and this is it. He said that I needed to have taken the Master's level Quantitative Methods class, which I did not, because the handbook does not say this is a requirement (although it does say it is recommended). I knew of other students who didn't take the MA level class, and I figured I would just suck it up and let it be a really hard class. I was on a timeline, and if I had to wait another year to take the Advanced class, which is what he was suggesting, it would have pushed all my research and graduation plans back by a year, too. So it became a big mess (including a meeting with the professor at which I almost cried), and my advisor and the graduate director were all involved, but it ultimately came down to the professor allowing me to take the class, with my full knowledge that I was not adequately prepared and might fail. Okay. That was better than the alternative, which made me want to quit the program entirely.
So I dug in hard to learn the prerequisite skills. I bought the book that the class would use (which also had more basic lessons) and signed up for a free online class on beginning statistics, and I even tried to hire a tutor, although that did not work out. All of this learning took place over the 3-4 weeks of winter break. I threw my dreams of a relaxing Christmas break out the window and forced myself through the lessons. At first, it wasn't very hard, but as it became increasingly more complex, I became increasingly nervous. And as the first class rolled around in January, I had a huge knot in my stomach and wanted to throw up when I thought about the class. On top of not being as prepared as the other students surely were, I was positive that the professor was going to call me out every chance he got because I was taking a shortcut and didn't listen to his advice. However, as the class went on, I realized everyone was nervous and felt equally unprepared, even though most of the students had him just the previous semester for the MA level class. I even felt like I had a slight advantage in some ways because I had so thoroughly and diligently studied the material and did all the extra online exercises. I remember the professor joking in class that the only student to have gotten an A+ in the class took the prerequisite class with him. In the back of my mind, I thought, "challenge accepted." And so far, I have gotten full points for every assignment. After a few classes, the professor told me my work was "like gold" and I'm pretty sure I was beaming for the rest of the week. Although I haven't finished yet (3 more classes!) and I may not get that A+, I know I will pass, and then my coursework will be done. Just for fun, I've included an example of one of the outputs from a principle component analysis I did. Doesn't it look nice? That's my favorite part - making data look good. Just don't ask me what it means. (Just kidding. I know, but it will probably take me several pages to explain, so I won't bore you with that).
Component
|
|||||
1
|
2
|
3
|
4
|
5
|
|
Hours Per Week Respondent Spends Caring for Family
|
.915
|
-.189
|
|||
Hours Per Week Spouse Spends Caring for Family
|
.885
|
-.147
|
|||
Age of Respondent
|
-.747
|
.11
|
-.178
|
-.166
|
|
Family Income
|
.902
|
-.188
|
.167
|
||
Respondent Income
|
.857
|
-.139
|
.339
|
||
Hours Per Week
Respondent Spends on Household Work
|
.82
|
||||
Number of
Children
|
-.152
|
-.212
|
.626
|
||
Number of Hours Respondent Worked Last Week
|
-.109
|
.883
|
|||
Hours Per Week Spouse Spends on Household Work
|
.559
|
.624
|
|||
Number of Hours
Spouse Worked Last Week
|
.144
|
.973
|
|||
I have also finalized my dissertation committee (the faculty that will help me through the research and dissertation process), and I've finished my research proposal. My project will be an examination of what it means to be a good parent from an institutional or "expert" lens. I will be working with an organization that has several different parenting programs for babies and pre-school children. I will meet with the committee in a couple of weeks to get their feedback on my proposal and discuss my qualifying exam questions. I will have to write three different 25-page papers answering questions related to my research and finish within 10 weeks. So guess what I'll be spending my summer doing? Yep.
Oh, and did I mention I got a part-time job? I am officially a Researcher, not just through graduate school, but as work, too. I work for an institute associated with USF called the Family Mental Health Institute, and specifically for the Child and Family Studies department. I am doing qualitative research analysis, which means that I look at data like interview transcripts and code them for themes using special software. Our team then uses the output from that software (with data organized by themes) to write a report. So it's sort of like taking words, chopping them up, and then reorienting them to make sense based on the themes we're looking at. Right now we're working on a welfare project in Utah. There is a new effort in many states to try to keep children in the home and load the families up with services (for lower risk cases), rather than removing them and placing them in foster care because it is not a very effective system. Of course, you can imagine the controversy some people feel over the risk this entails, and that is part of the reason we're doing this evaluation. It is only 10 hours per week, at my request (they originally asked for 20), and I can do it mostly from home. They even hooked me up with a 30-pound laptop that looks like it's from 1999. Although it's been a little tricky figuring out our flow at home with this new job, I mostly do it when the girls are in school (now they both go five half days per week). I was starting to feel like I was ready for a little more work, and when this opportunity came along (from a fall classmate who also works there), I thought it might just be perfect. This was one of the specific places I imagined possibly working after I finish my program. Although right now the position is not much more than a kind of graduate assistant position in terms of pay and responsibilities, I plan on wowing them with my ability so that they'll want to hire me in a permanent, higher level position when I'm done.
But enough about me, let's talk about Evie! She is such a glowing light of generosity and curiosity right now. She's doing really well in school and seems so engaged and enjoys playing and being with her friends. This makes it so much harder to face the fact that she will almost definitely be going to a different school next year for Kindergarten. We would really like to believe that our kids can get a quality education without attending private school long term. We went through a sort of ridiculous process of researching school options and doing school tours over the fall and winter, and we selected three public schools to apply to, all based on a random lottery system. She is also zoned for an "A" school, but we wanted to see if we could find something that matched a little more with the kind of Montessori approach they've been receiving so far, and that wasn't as limited as traditional schools. One school we applied to was an IB school that has a specific inquiry-based learning approach, and is also known for being rigorous, but we did not make the lottery there. Another is a nature-based charter school on a big wooded campus, although the buildings are humble. This one is called Learning Gate, and it is based on the concept of learning through and in interaction with one's environment. They have huge food gardens that the children work in as their specials, and they do a lot of outdoor playing and working. I was most excited about this one, but it was the first I visited, so I need to go back and ask more questions about the academic components because I've heard some people say that the outdoor experiences came at the expense of academic engagement. We're also not officially accepted yet; we found out in March that Evie was #8 on the waitlist, but it seems that it's very possible for 8 families to change their minds or move before school starts next year. We will visit again in June, hopefully. The last one is called Trinity School for Children, and it is also a charter school (not religious). It is based on the Bank Street School in New York, and from what they tell me, it is similar in philosophy to Montessori but has more teacher guidance. Evie did make the lottery there, and at this moment, she is doing her "observation day," where she goes and spends half a day there in a kindergarten classroom to interact with them, but also to have teachers and the guidance counselor do assessments so they can figure out the best placement for her (apparently they do this every year for all students). They have differentiated classrooms, so they say this helps keep students engaged at the right level and in the right atmosphere. It is not close, though, nor is Learning Gate. We'd have to count on making a 45 minute drive (because of traffic) every morning and picking up every day because there is no bus. I stayed and grilled the administrator for about 30 minutes with my questions, but I still could not get a "feel" for what I thought. I do know three other parents who send their kids there, and they have good things to say about it. I know that whatever choice we make, she'll be in a good school and because she's academically inclined, she'll probably do well anywhere. But because she has such a flame for learning right now, I think I'm nervous that the "wrong" teacher or school or environment will extinguishing that flame, and that would break my heart.
![]() |
| Evie at her birthday ceremony at school. |
![]() |
| Being celebrated by her friends! |
![]() |
| Looking quite grown up. |
![]() |
| Eleanora's First Day of Dance Class. |
![]() |
| Evie was this happy the whole time at the visit! |
![]() |
| We thought we'd lucked out when we found Wizard of Oz dolls at the office (her favorite!) but she still wouldn't budge. |









No comments:
Post a Comment