You turned 6 years old today, and in some ways, I can't believe you've only been on this Earth for that long. You have filled my days with something new ever since you were born (you'd like to know that that's exactly 2,190 days). I had you all to myself for long periods of time during your earlier years. You were my buddy, and we made sense together because we have similar personalities. We had it pretty easy, and sometimes I long to step back into those days, at least for a bit.
You still love family and friends probably more than anything. At family and friend get togethers, you gather with cousins or friends and go off on your own to create your own fun. We don't even know what you're doing half the time now, but we hear squeals and laughter (and occasional tears); you're old enough now to want to break free from under our wings, and you relish in the secret world of independent child play.
Something we take for granted is knowing how smart you are, and feeling like you'll always exceed academically. You continue to learn and use big words, to seek out adults to talk to, to do challenging math like Sudoku puzzles for fun, learn cursive writing just because you wanted to, and you're learning to read more every day (although you've never been one to choose reading a book as something fun or interesting to do on your own). We've always felt that it was important not to push you (or any young child) academically so that you can learn about your world through play and natural observations, but we've also been fortunate that you have a drive to learn all on your own, and you observe like no other.
This morning, you were getting ready to have a special day at school because Papa, Eleanora, Lola, and I were going to all be there for your celebration of life ceremony. You changed outfits a couple times, first wanting to find a fancy dress, and then settling on turquoise leggings, a LOVE shirt, and a bun in your hair. You reminded me that I said you could wear your clip on earrings on your birthday, so I agreed. You found a pair that perfectly matched your outfit, and as you were putting them on, you dropped one down the bathroom sink drain (which, coincidentally, does not have a stopper in it). It was gone. Down the drain. As it sunk in that you probably wouldn't be able to wear those earrings, you screamed louder than I think I've ever heard you scream, and you didn't stop. You yelled, stomped, and said the day was ruined and demanded that we get the earring. You told me that if we can't get it out then we'll have to go straight to the beach and see if it came out there (it was hard not to laugh!). You can be so determined. Luckily, Papa was able to pull the pipe apart and find it, just in time to leave for school. All was right with the world again.
So even while I think idealistically about the way things were when you were a baby, I wouldn't trade 6-year-old you for anything. Your personality, like the rest of you, is growing and changing. Just as you have new freckles sprinkled across your nose and longer legs, you have new abilities and more refined ways of expressing yourself. We love all these bits of you that make you our sweet Evie.
No comments:
Post a Comment